- After washing and drying strawberries, allow them to come to room temperature.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- In a microwave safe, glass measuring cup or bowl, combine the chocolate chips and shortening.
- Heat for 30 seconds, then stir well. The chips may remain whole at this point.
- Heat an additional 30 seconds and stir again. Continue in 30 second increments, stirring, until the mixture is melted.
- Add a couple of drops of gel food coloring and stir to combine. Add more gel if needed to achieve your desired final color.
- Holding the strawberries by the leaves or stem, dip into the chocolate mixture. Gently shake to allow excess chocolate to drip off the berry.
- You may need to stir the mixture after dipping a few berries.
- Place on prepared pan and allow to set. You can speed this up by refrigerating them, but the chocolate may take on a slightly cloudy look.
For Easter “Carrot” Strawberries:
- When set, pour crushed cookies or sprinkles on a platter and place berries on top.